Friday, September 24, 2010

World's Lightest Road Bike?



How about a 6 pound bike? Yes, 6 pounds total - doesn't even seem possible. Must be made from moon rocks and pixie dust. It's allegedly rideable and cost $45,000 to build - though not for sale. That's too bad, 'cause I'm sure there's a huge market for $45,000 six pound bikes. Maybe you should skip a few burritos while waiting for delivery.

I've read about crazy project bikes weighing 10 pounds or so, but 6 pounds is hard to even comprehend. That's 10 pounds lighter then my current carbon Ibis road bike, which already seems crazy light to me. Welcome to Loopy Town.

More pictures and info from the fine folks at VeloNews - covering Interbike - now in progress. That's where I picked this story from. VeloNews puts out a great magazine - paper or online version. Tell 'em I sent you. They'll be sure to to reply with a blank stare and mutter "Who?".

Me? I'm holding out for the 5 pound bike. This way I can mock all my friends riding 6 pound bikes...

2 comments:

  1. Ha, me and my lard butt might collaspe that with a good bump in the road. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I'd be a little nervous about something like that holding up to real world use.

    It's mostly show bike material..

    ReplyDelete