Saturday, September 18, 2010

1986 Miyata Team - Yes Please


I spotted this sweet '86 Miyata Team on eBay, offered for sale by The Pros Closet. It looks super clean and in perfect shape. They're asking $900 and if I didn't have about two zillion items more important to spend $900 on, it be on its way here via a big brown truck. It's even my size. Damn.

I have a soft spot for Miyata bikes of that era - which happens to be my bike shop era. I spun wrenches in a shop from '81 to '84 or so. Whippany Cycle, located in scenic Whippany New Jersey. I assembled many Miyatas at that time and always dug their higher end road bike models - the 912, the Pro, and the Team. I never purchased one, but should have. I did wind up buying a Miyata mountain bike however, but that's another story.

I occasionally cruise eBay searching for a clean example, this one is the best I've seen.....



Old school Dura-Ace and steel fork. Very nice indeed.



More old Dura-Ace goodness. Only 6 speeds. Go ahead, count 'em.



Man, that's clean. I always dug the blue color of the Pro and Team models.



Ah, downtube friction shifters. Somewhere, Grant Petersen nods his head in approval.



Old school Turbo saddle. I still run one of these on my RB-1.



Very, very nice. Yeah, modern carbon bikes rock - but don't match this era of old school steel for style.


Oh well, the cleanest example I've ever witnessed. Not gonna happen, unless Santa is watching. I promise - I'll be good all year. Really.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Dan O, I just picked up an older Miyata Team Professional with Shimano 600 groupset. Would you happen to know anything about it if I provided a serial number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool old bike to pick up. I don't have any Miyata serial number info myself.

    Does this help?:

    http://vintagemiyatabicycles.blogspot.com/2010/07/miyata-bicycles-serial-numbers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up mine, a 1985 team, completely original... for sixty dollars

    Still pinching myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a (1984) Miyata Six Ten. Stored in my garage and not ridden for 15-20 years. Very clean. Any suggestions how to ready it for riding without ruining its "vintage" look and value? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought one new in 1985..... has over 100K miles on it...... still very stiff.

    ReplyDelete