Monday, March 21, 2011

Mission Bicycle Company

Mission Bicycle from Karen Abad loves Dinosaurs. on Vimeo.


Discovered this today, Mission Bicycle Company, very interesting business model and look. I'm too old to be jumping on the fixie hipster bandwagon, but if it gets the "kids" riding, I'm all for it - well, except for the no brakes aspect. I still think that tidbit of the fixie culture is a little nuts, but who am I to judge.

Super well done website, simple steel frame and fork, cruise through the pedal, wheels, and other options, including various colors - and presto - trick looking city bike delivered to your door. You can even includes brakes if you wish.

Yes, there's the online verses local bike shop debate and each side has a valid argument. However, the mainstream bicycle companies don't really offer bikes like this and when they do - they're typically not as cool. Kinda like watching your dad break dance. Let's not go there.

The demographics (I'm break dancing now) for this type of bike will also be very online savvy and probably have no problem with the concept. The bikes are also simple enough to eliminate much of the mystery involved with the selection and purchase. Cool set up and cool bikes. Take a look.


3 comments:

  1. Interesting concept. My knees told me they will not ride unless they have gears.

    Some 'fixies' pack a front brake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same as MrDavieGie...I NEED gears..!!
    Like the video ....
    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. They make bikes with gears, they just hapen to use all internally geared hubs...

    ReplyDelete