Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Solo Ride


After a few week absence from the woods, hit some local singletrack at St Edward/Big Finn Hill today. Almost 50 degrees, trails wet enough to be fun, but not super muddy. Felt great to get out and had me thinking while riding - "I never get sick of this" - as in riding bicycles. Unless something stops me physically, this whole bike shindig appears to be a lifetime obsession. I guess there's plenty worse things to be obsessed with - no?

Son Ian wasn't in the mood for a ride, so a solo run for me. That's okay, in a busy house getting some time alone can be rare. If this was a few months from now, I'd be fitter and would have taken the opportunity to rip it up a bit. Since I'm in the middle of the winter riding slump, a fun cruise through the trees is all I needed. Spring and pretending to be fast is many weeks away.

While riding, I ran into John Zilly, who I know from old school BBTC circles. He was riding with his 7 year old son, which is always cool to see. John is the author of a few riding and hiking trail guides, including Kissing The Trail, which as become a Seattle area classic mountain bike guide.

When I got home, Ian was bummed he decided not to go - especially when I told him about running into John Zilly. Ian has flipped through the pages of Kissing The Trail a thousand times and would have liked to meet him.

Oh well - you snooze, you loose.

5 comments:

  1. That says it all so exactly --> "I never get sick of this" - as in riding bicycles. Unless something stops me physically, this while bike shindig appears to be a lifetime obsession. I guess there's plenty worse things to be obsessed with - no?"

    A couple times last year I did 3 centuries in 3 days, and still would think about the next time I can ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - it's a sickness. But a good sickness.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, it never gets old.

    That is a sweet 'Wale. Nicely set up, great colors. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - the Cannondale was a NOS eBay special. It's actually a 2007 police frame, no different from a standard Cannondale Furio X frame, but still sports v-brake mounts - that I needed.

    I thought it looked even cooler with the white Headshok fork it came with, but that blew up early in the game. The Fox fork actually works much better, but I can feel the weight difference.

    All the parts from my '99 Ellsworth Truth were swapped to the Cannondale: '04 Fox Talas fork, 11 year old XTR kit, Mavic ceramic rims, tires, etc. I retired the Truth after it got a little creaky, but was looking to hardtail again anyway.

    The Ellsworth was black with red tires, etc. Now I'm going white and red. I think it looks kinda cool as well. It's not as light as I thought it was going to be, but it fits me really well.

    Also, after riding dual suspension for 10 years, it's been fun going back to a hardtail. My plan was to also include a short travel Thud Buster seat post to really ratchet up the weird factor. I've yet to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Dan, great to see you too. I never get sick of it either, and I hope to pass that on to my kids. Long live the ride!
    jz

    ReplyDelete