Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bike Hauler Project - Just Walk Away...


Being a recovering gear head, I still occasionally cruise Craigslist and eBay looking for interesting cars and motorcycles. Not to buy, just to gawk at really. I'm a bit of the old school Volkswagen fan and get a kick out of checking Bugs, Ghias, buses and the like.

I came across this Bug last week in the local Seattle Craigslist ads. Older Bug with a Mazda RX-7 motor - pretty wild. Check out the holes punched in the hood for the radiator. Not a bad interior with Subaru STI seats either. All this for $3900. Had me thinking for a few seconds. Then I came to my senses - my fixing and tweaking with car days are long over - as in decades over.

Still, I can't helping thinking this wacked out project would be a blast. Just needs a roof rack to hold a few bikes.....

5 comments:

  1. I love old Volkswagens! My first car was a '72 Ghia. Good memories and grand adventures the 2 of us had together. I dropped her off at my mom's place about 20 years ago when I moved to SF and didn't need a car anymore. She's still there, sitting in a field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past, during the gear head years, I owned of bunch of cars and motorcycles. Lots of Fiats - yes, Fiats. And a few Volkswagens - a ratty '68 Bug and a super clean '73 Thing - and a new '84 GTI.

    I've always had a thing for the old air cooled stuff. Read tons of mags, hit a few Bug events, etc - years ago. I wouldn't mind picking up another one day, just to goof with. I ride my bike so much, doesn't even need to be reliable. Bug, Ghia or Bus.

    The rotary RX-7 motor wedged into that Bug is an interesting project. Super light motor with some decent power. Would be a goof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The worst thing that can happen to me is to spot an ad like that when I have (rarely) some extra cash in my pocket!

    As proof I submit this: in my garage a few years ago were 3 Husqvarna dirt bikes(one with a mint Chrome side panel gas tank).

    Oh, they were parked next to an Ossa nad Bultaco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - an old Husqvarna, Ossa and Bultaco - cool. I rode dirt bikes a lot in the late '70s and raced a bit as well - motocross and hare scrambles. I was friends with folks big into observed trials at the time also. So, bikes from that era are directly connected to my DNA.

    If I had the time and money, getting involved with the vintage motocross racing scene would be right up my alley. A '75 or so Bultaco Pursang 250 - the blue one - yes please. Same era Husky 250 CR would be cool also. Even a Honda CR 250 Elsinore. I'm not picky.

    Check out the Claw Bikes and Vintage Motocross Bikes link in my blog and link lists. Lots of pics and stories from that era.

    ReplyDelete