Monday, January 10, 2011

Welcome to the Machine

Welcome to the machine.

1991 Bridgestone RB-1 attached to '80s vintage wind trainer from SuperGo. It is loud. Steel roller presses against 28c tire. A small brick elevates the front wheel. It sits in a cold cluttered garage. It is a torture rack.

Torture rack kit breaks every roadie styling faux pas imaginable. High top mountain bike Sidi shoes. Long non-cycling socks, folded over. River City Cycles logo shorts complete with gaping rips and holes. Ramones t-shirt.

First generation iPod that somehow still holds a charge powers the torture. Metallica, Clash, Gas Huffer, White Stripes, AC/DC, Nirvana, Motorhead, Ramones provide the soundtrack.

One hour on the torture rack I spin. Sweat drips, ears ring, trainer fan roars.

Welcome to the machine.

5 comments:

  1. I have a close relationship with that form of torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, an hour on the "Rack" is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My indoor rollers, who I haven't visited yet this year, have a Fuji mounted on them that I bought from a guy at work that lost his license for drinking. He was going to get all into biking but after the law gave him his driver's license back, he never rode a bike again. The big gear in front is one of those eccentric shaped ones. Hard rock'n'roll music certainly helps one survive the indoor jive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any indoor riding is basically self induced torture. I don't know how the gym crowd survives - riding in circles and walking up stairs - that go nowhere.

    Without music, I'd never survive an hour on the trainer. I usually last 45 - 65 minutes, depending on the mood. I've been pretty lame the last few weeks - many weeks. Time to start "training" for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about zactly da same. Gotta have music, and good music, high octane rock. 45 minutes I start to come even more nutz, if I can make it to 60 minutes, I am brain fried.

    ReplyDelete