Thursday, January 20, 2011

From Steel - Soulcraft

FROM STEEL: The Making of a Soulcraft from michael evans on Vimeo.



Short film displaying the frame building talent of Sean Walling of Soulcraft at work. I've admired his bikes via the website for many years. When I hit the NAHBS a few years ago in Portland, the Soulcraft Dirtbomb was my favorite bike of the show. If I was in the market for a custom steel bike, Soulcraft would be towards the top of the list. I like the no nonsense approach they take in design and aesthetics. No frills and made for riding and racing.

Sure, production bikes are better then ever. Carbon bikes are fantastic to ride. Still, nothing beats the art and history of a handmade steel frame - especially from a smaller builder. There's an intimate coolness factor, that just can't be found from a bike straight off the sales floor. If you appreciate such matters and have the dough to burn - worth every cent.

4 comments:

  1. Great little film - really interesting - thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some bikes have souls. You more then most can feel that soul. I enjoy reading your passion about what I love to do the most. O-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the video, thanks for posting it. I should have made a video of me making a Recumbent from a couple of old bikes I had laying around, it would have been a comedy compared to this, but I did have a lot of fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mrbill - I think your recumbent building video would have been more entertaining for sure.

    ReplyDelete