Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow !!




Freezing cold and loads of snow in the Seattle area this week - doesn't happen that often. Rode to work on Thursday, nice ride, but the 34 mile round trip in the snow was a little tougher then expected. People at work think I'm insane.

In the morning, after cruising slowly down my big ass hill, hit the Burke-Gilman Trail. It was a few inches of fairly wet snow that was hard to ride in. After a half mile or so, considered turning back, but made progress by following a bike track from some nut case who rode earlier. Then a car track (!?!) on the trail saved the day for a few hundred yards. Apparently some lakefront home owner used the trail to avoid the steep hills heading towards Bothell Way – tracks eventually turned into a driveway.

I figured the snow level would drop towards Seattle and I was right. After a few miles of pain it was great – awesome riding. It was snowing like crazy when I hit Seattle itself.

I thought I’d bag out of work around 3:00 or 4:00 PM to head home. Wound up leaving around 5:15 PM. Way colder on the way home, but nice hard snow on the trail – with plenty of ice. For awhile, it was awesome, can fly at almost normal speeds. It was a blast.

Before I got to the trail, some Dude on a road bike blew past me going down Eastlake. The street was an ice skating rink. Either he had studded tires or I’m a wimp. A pin in my collarbone is not on my Christmas wish list. I did push it a bit on the trail however. Fun stuff.

Wheels fell off the wagon on the Lake Forest Park section. Deep hard snow, with tons of frozen footprints and tire ruts. Lots of energy to keep rolling and a mild pounding as well. I was pretty wasted by then. The climb up to my house was quite painful, I was toasted. It also was a total sheet of ice all the way up. Some people sledding on the hill were impressed/horrified by my slow progress. One guy offered me a Powerbar from his house. Nice offer, but I declined.

I was glad to get home. Left knee was hurting – rare for me. It was fun in a challenging way. No crashing or mishaps. I used my Cannondale mountain bike for the trip.

Back in New Jersey, I did quite a bit of snow riding with dirt motorcycles and mountain bikes. In a way, riding in the snow takes me back there. Call me Loopy.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read... confirms my fears that you're just not right, makes my joints and muscles ache in sympathy... but an interesting read, none-the-less.

    ReplyDelete